Who uses Twitter and why?
We are trying to understand better the Twitter users. Can we organize Twitter users into Twitter Archetypes, users who resemble each other in how they use Twitter?
This is a first attempt at this.
We believe that one can identify three Twitter user archetypes:
- Writers who want to be heard:
Writers are interested in sharing information with other users. Writers can be experts in a particular field, celebrities, or companies wanting to inform their customers.
- Readers who want to be informed:
Readers are interested in getting interesting content from Twitter. Typically, readers are interested in particular topics for which they want to get the "latest news/updates" from Twitter
- Social People who want to be connected:
Social people use Twitter as a communication tool to connect and stay in contact with other users.
Social people can be further thought of as
- Conversationalist who want to stay in touch with people they already know in real life. Conversationalist typically belong to a clique of users who follow each other and use Twitter as a way to communicate/chat.
- Networkers who want to connect with new people. Networkers are using Twitter to create new contacts with other users who share a similar interest or they would like to connect with for professional or other reasons.
Do these archetypes resonate with you?
Which archetype are you?